Friday 11 May 2012

PHILIPS PTS 6000 Financial Terminal System/PHILIPS PTS 6000 Banking Systems computer hardware







Pictured (picture obtained from Internet) above, if I am not wrong, is PHILIPS PTS 6810 or PHILIPS PTS 6811 minicomputer used by HSBC Bank Malaysia Bhd many years ago sometime between 1980 to 1985. When I joined Philips Data Systems in October 1980 as a Computer Technician, this machine/minicomputer was already there in one of the HSBC Branches in Malaysia. I still remember, in that same year, following my boss Mr. R. Jayagopal (back then he was the Section Head of Philips Data Systems Malaysia) to HSBC Johore Branch to trouble-shoot this HSBC minicomputer. My boss R. Jayagopal drove (.....using the old road....at that time the North-South Expressway was not available yet) all the way from PHILIPS Headquarters Jalan 222 in Petaling Jaya to HSBC Johore Bahru Branch and I was beside him in the car. During the journey I decided to offer my help to drive the car so that he can get some rest, but my boss doesn't feel comfortable so he drive all the way until we reach our destination.

Inside this PHILIPS PTS 6810/11 minicomputer includes a few controller cards. Among them are CHLT (Channel Unit for Local Terminal) card, CHLC (Channel Unit for Line Control) card, CHCR (Channel Unit for Cassette Recorder) card. The CHLT card have 8 ports whereby each port is connected to a PHILIPS TTP 6222 Teller Terminal Printer through a PHILIPS SUML 6314. The CHCR card connects to the Cassette Drive module. The CHLC card connects to the modem. Loading the HSBC programs using the Cassette Drive was a bit slow and it took quite a while  to complete.

The PHILIPS PTS 6812 and PHILIPS PTS 6813 minicomputer were the new models replacing the PHILIPS PTS 6810 and PHILIPS PTS 6811 minicomputer.


If I am not mistaken, the white-color machine pictured above is the PHILIPS TTP 6222 dot-matrix printer. HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad use this PHILIPS TTP 6222 printer for passbook printing. Sitting next to the TTP 6222 printer on the left handside is the PHILIPS keyboard. The OEM for this PHILIPS keyboard is Honeywell. I still remember doing component level repair for this PHILIPS keyboard by replacing the faulty keyswitches. This is another picture of the PHILIPS PTS 6000 keyboard obtain from the web.


Reply to Comments_Unknown


Yes , you are correct . The first picture is not the real picture or the exact photo of the PHILIPS PTS 6810 or the PHILIPS PTS 6811 computer hardware . I have been searching in the Internet for the exact photo of the PHILIPS PTS 6810 and the PHILIPS 6811 but I couldn’t find it at that time . The closest photo that I have found on the Internet which had a slight resemblance to the PHILIPS PTS 6810 or the PHILIPS PTS 6811 is the one that you are seeing right now .
I worked as a Technician with Philips Data Systems in Malaysia from October 1980 to December 1991 and I have install and maintain and troubleshoot a variety of computer hardware from Philips Data Systems , among them is the PHILIPS PTS 6810 and the PHILIPS PTS 6811 . It is a great honour and pleasure to hear someone out there in Sweden is reading my blog and the person reading my blog also happen to be a Technician from Philips Data Systems in Sweden . Do you , by any chance , can get me an exact photo of the PHILIPS PTS 6810 or the PHILIPS PTS 6811 , so that I can replaced it on the first picture ?
Oh ya , if I happen to be in Sweden , I would love to meet you in person . Seems like we have something in common . As of today , Wednesday 21st. February 2018 , I am a retired Technician and I am not working anymore but I still like to play around with computer hardware and computer
software . Once again , thank you very much for visiting my blog and have a nice day .

I am,
Yours very truly,
Norizan bin Hassan .



Reply to Comments_[P.P.]

Hi !  Thank you very much for visiting my blog . I hope I have the chance/opportunity to vist the Technical Museum in Stockholm someday . Have a nice day !

I am,
Yours very truly,
Norizan bin Hassan




6 comments:

  1. The first picture shows the earlier PTS P6110 from the 70's.
    It was used in Svenska Handelsbanken SHB here in Sweden.
    I worked as technician back in 1987 and have repaired some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Both picures are from the Technical museum in Stockholm (their storage), and are showing PTS 6000 (developed by PEAB (Philips Elektronikinsudtrier) for Svenska Handelsbanken).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... first picture is a TED (TErminalDator (one at each branch office)), and the second picture is a KT (KassaTerminal (Teller mackine) with one part missing).

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI all, I wprked with PTS from 1980 to 1984 full time, and later parttime. I am presently assembling a 852 based 68xx from spare parts. We have a development system in the danish IT museum, but we must make a new system because we have lost a lot of the units. Is anyone of you still active in some way? I could use some hardware advice
    Regards
    Nico de Jong, nico@farumdata.dk

    ReplyDelete
  5. real testimony and good news !!!

    My name is Mohammad, I just received my loan and has been transferred to my bank account, a few days ago I applied to the Dangote Loan Company through Lady Jane (Ladyjanealice@gmail.com), I asked Lady Jane about the Dangote Loan Company's requirements and Jane told me that if I had all the requirements that my loan would be transferred to me without delay

    And believe me now because my Rp11 billion loan with an interest rate of 2% for my Coal Mining business has just been approved and transferred to my account, this is a dream to come, I promise Lady Jane that I will tell the world is this true? and I will tell the world now because this is true

    You do not need to pay registration fees, license fees, comply with the Dangote Loan Company and you will get your loan

    for more details contact me via email: mahammadismali234@gmail.com and contact the Dangote Loan Company for your loan now via email Dangotegrouploandepartment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! The Computer is a Philips PTS 6110 from SHB as earlier comments have verified. The second picture contains a PTS 6231 keyboard, a PTS 6221 teller terminal printer and a PTS 6241 advanced display unit. The latter had both a row of 8 signalling lamps and a row of numeric Nixie tubes for displaying numbers. Together, the system was internally called HTS (Handelsbanken's Terminal System). Much more on these devices and everything else produced by PTS (Philips Terminal Systems) can be found in this free e-book: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/377777427_The_Rise_and_Fall_of_Philips_Data_Systems

    ReplyDelete